MENU

Early Days of Patchogue Pt.2

Footnotes to Long Island History

EARLY DAYS OF PATCHOGUE

JULY 7,1960

by

Thomas R. Bayles


      A Congregational Church was organized January 14, 1793 by the Rev. Noah Hallock of Mt. Sinai, who was a pastor of the Congregational Church in Mt. Sinai at that time. The Patchogue church was constituted the "Second Congregational Church of Brookhaven, and started out with eight members. For several years there was no resident pastor and the Rev. Mr. Hallock  came across the Island  and conducted services.

       The Methodist Society was organized in 1791 and united with the Congregational Church in building a "meeting house" in 1794 which they used jointly. This was located on the east corner of Waverly Avenue and Main Street. It is said by some historians that this building was also used for several years by a small group of Presbyterians and Baptists.

       In 1820, the Congregationalists bought out the Methodists share of the building and became the sole owners of the old meeting house, which they enlarge and rebuilt. By 1854, the village had grown eastward and the membership had grown to over 200, so a new church was built on Pine Street, now North Ocean Avenue. The present church was erected in 1893.

       After the Methodists sold out their share in the first meeting house, they were without a house of worship for several years, until they built a church of their own in 1833 in the same neighborhood, which they used until about 1854, when they built a new one on the south side corner of Church Street and Railroad Avenue. The present church was built in 1891 when the parish was 100 years old.

       The Catholics purchased the old Methodists church in 1854, which they used until 1888, when the St .Francis de Sales Church was built at the corner of East Main Street and Conklin Avenue, and which was moved to its present site several years later.

       St. Paul's Episcopal church was organized in 1843, and the first church building was located on the south side of main street, a short distance east of River Avenue. The present church was dedicated December 6, 1883.

       The Baptist church was reorganized in 1876, and a church built at a lower end of South Ocean Avenue. On September 12, 1888, the First Baptist Church of Patchogue was organized, and in 1892 a church building was erected on Academy Street, and after being in use there for 18 years, was moved to its recent location on North Ocean Avenue.

       The Emanuel Lutheran Church was organized in April, 1912, and a church was dedicated in November, 1914.

       Roe's Hotel was a famous stopping place over a 100 years ago for the stage coaches that traveled through the Island,and was half way station between Sag Harbor and Brooklyn. It was built in 1810 by Justus Roe, and many well known men enjoyed the hospitality of this old inn, among whom were Dewitt Clinton, John Jacob Astor, Daniel Webster and others. It was under the management of Austin Roe, who was the son of the original proprietor that this famous old hostelry reached its greatest popularity. Uncle Austin Roe, as he was called was known to everyone throughout the Island, and he seemed to know everyone.

       Before the railroad came to Patchogue, the stage coach was the only means of travel to and from the city, and the stage coach driver was an important man and was intrusted with many errands by people along the way. He was given money to deposit in banks, and many requests to buy articles at stores along the way. The taverns along the route where the stage coaches stopped for meals or a night's lodging were centers of community interest, and the townspeople would gather to hear the latest news from the outside world.  

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.